Explorers Group – Blending
- Rambouillet (Ramb)
- Bast bamboo (bast bam)
- Pima cotton (pima cot)
- Eri silk
- Santa Cruz Island (SCI)
- Gulf Coast Native (GCN)
Some fiber characteristics:
- Stitch definition (clarity of stitches and/or openness, if lace)
- Visual interest
- Origin of fiber (greenness, biodiversity, local)
- Similarity to something else – can it help you replicate something you want to replicate?
Things to think about as you blend:
- Original characteristics of each fiber, including positives and negatives
- What did you gain by blending?
- What did you lose by blending?
- What might you use the blend for that you might not use either original fiber for?
- Is there an optimal ratio? Altogether, or for a particular project?
- Is there a minimal amount of a fiber to add to add its desirable characteristics?
- At what point/ratio might you lose the desirable attributes that you’re trying to add to another fiber? (e.g. is 5% silk enough to give Rambouillet sheen & drape, or are you wasting your silk?)